Cliquez pour aller à la version française du site web
Browser fix
Browser fix
Where Nacqueville is (facing the Isle of Wight) in relation to London and Paris

On this page:

Navigation bullet point Families
Navigation bullet point Beginnings
Navigation bullet point Creation of the Park
Navigation bullet point View - pruned rhododendron bushes & lake
Navigation bullet point View down the valley to the Chateau and the sea beyond
Navigation bullet point Post-war
Navigation bullet point Today
Browser fix
Chateau and Park's title block
Browser fix

History

Families

Coat of arms on the postern gate over the drawbridge in front of the Chateau of Nacqueville

Coat of arms
over the drawbridge

Since building started 500 years ago, the history of the Chateau and Park of Nacqueville has been closely linked to those of the three families who have lived there:

Body text bullet pointthe Grimouvilles in the 16th and 17th centuries

Body text bullet pointthe Mangon family, and their relatives the Barbout de Querquevilles and the de Tocquevilles, in the 18th. and 19th. Centuries, and

Body text bullet pointthe Hersents and their descendants from 1880 to the present day.

Beginnings

In 1510 the ancient Norman family of Grimouville constructed the original building as a fortified manor with a protective wall, 6 metres high. This completely blocked out the view from the manor thus giving the owners of the time no interest in landscaping the surrounding countryside.

Around 1700 the defensive wall was knocked down. With only the postern gate as the remaining reminder of the original defences, the owners had a beautiful view from the Chateau over the valley floor to the ornamental woods beyond.

Creation of the Park

Pruned rhododendrons seen from the Chateau of Nacqueville, with the lake behind.

Pruned rhododendrons,
with the lake behind.

Only much later, in 183o, did Hippolyte de Tocqueville, whose wife owned the estate, decide to create a true park.

An English landscape gardener was commissioned to design a romantic park, taking in the three small valleys. Within a few years the work had been successfully completed:

Body text bullet pointcreating a lake next to the Chateau and forming ponds, waterfalls and fountains,

Body text bullet pointclearing the main valley and planting it with ornamental trees, flowering shrubs and exotic plants,

Body text bullet pointmoving the entrance drive to lead right up to the Chateau, and

Body text bullet pointextending the woodlands on the surrounding high ground.

These changes so impressed the political philosopher Alexis de Tocqueville, the author of the classic "Democracy in America", that he wrote to his friend G. de Beaumont in 1857:

"I was, the day before yesterday, at my brother Hippolyte's house. They have lavished enough money and taste on Nacqueville to make it one of the prettiest places in the world."

View past chateau

View down the valley to the sea


Post-war

Restoration

During the 2nd World War, the Chateau and the Park were occupied by the German army and then the Americans, who used the Chateau as an headquarters.

When Marcel Hersent (1895-1971) reclaimed the property in 1946, the whole place was in a disastrous state. Parts of the roof were missing, the interior was in ruins, the park had been devastated and the woods badly damaged. Over the next ten years, he completely restored the Chateau and put the Park and the woods back in order.

Proud of his work, in 1962 he opened the Park and the Chateau to the public.

Consolidation

In 1971, Marcel's daughter Jacqueline, who had married Francois Azan in 1946, inherited the property. For the next 29 years they dedicated themselves to keeping the estate in perfect order, preserving its harmony and charm.

Today

In 2000, the property passed to their daughter, Florence. With her husband Thierry d'Harcourt and their three children Hildevert, Alban and Quitterie, they left their Australian home of 12 years to settle in Nacqueville and pursue the task of the 18 previous generations who have over 5 centuries been the owners of Nacqueville.

More about the family and the other people involved in opening Nacqueville to the public can be found under About us.

Esquisse du devant du chateau en tant que logo

© T. & F. d'Harcourt, 2002-17. All rights reserved

Browser fix
Browser fix